Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy (You're NOT a Fine Girl.)

I'm back and with power! I've actually had my power back since early this morning but I've been pretty glued to my tv since I haven't actually seen footage that Sandy has brought upon in this area. God is it devastating. And that is an understatement.

I got lucky. My neighborhood is fine. I was not in an evacuation zone. The most damage I've seen in the area are downed trees. My family is fine. Nobody is hurt. Nobody has suffered any serious damage to their homes. The most that any of us have suffered, as far as I know, is a loss of power. And for that I am grateful.

With that said, here are some pictures from the evening of the storm:


Hours after posting on the blog...all of downtown NY and Jersey City went black.
Commence romantic setting for one.


Once the winds died down, and all seemed "safe", I went downstairs and poked my head out.
Literally, POKED MY HEAD OUT.
Some fools decided to actually walk around!! Um hello, branches can still fall from nowhere.
Anyway, darkness. Complete and utter darkness.

And thus began 24+ hours of what I called mandatory camping. Yes, these are definitely first world problems. And I most definitely should not have been/be complaining about the loss of power. Was it inconvenient? Yes. Was it the end of the world? No. Again, floods stopped a few blocks before me. My apartment remained intact. And truly, I am so thankful nothing else happened. 

As the hours continue to go by and more stories emerge, please remember to be thankful for what you have. It truly is the little things in life that make a difference.




No comments: