Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Day of Remembrance.

Eleven years ago, our world changed. I personally didn't know anyone who lost their life that day but, I, like other knew of people - my neighbors' nephew, a friend of a friend's girlfriend. And everyone has their story. My story, though different from everyone, is also the same. September 11, 2001 was a day that affected everyone.

Eleven years ago, almost out the door to start another year of college, I was stopped by the news on the television. Though not very far from the actual scene, I watched the news unfold before me. I watched one horrible scene after another. I watched my college turned into a triad center.  I watched to see if my friends and family were okay. I watched my whole future change.

And every year since then, I have commemorated in my own way - by watching the remembrance ceremony on tv. I watched and lived the moment from afar back then, and I will do so every year. Even when shortly after 9/11, I worked with the FDNY in the Special Events (as a result of the out-pour of gratitude they received), I watched the first ceremony in the press office of headquarters. Year after year, I watch a part of it at home and then stream the rest at work. Even if I'm not fully paying attention, it's on. It's my way of remembering.

I watched 11 years ago. I watched 5 years ago. I watched last year. But today, I only watched the first 30 minutes. This year is different.The media has said so. And perusing today's blogs, less than 50% mention today's significance. Is it because we've passed the 10 year mark? Maybe. Have we moved on? I don't think so. Are we moving through? Most likely. But just because I didn't do my normal routine, doesn't mean I have forgotten. In fact this year, I made it a point to walk down to the waterfront and reflect. Though I see the skyline almost every day and work in that same exact area where tragedy took place, today was different. I wanted to remember the past, but see the future.


(It was hard trying to take the picture at the same exact spot.)


Tribute in Lights.

No comments: