Monday, September 3, 2012

The Big Apple: #5

I love impromptu outings. Last night, I went to One if By Land, Two if By Sea for dinner (sorry no pictures!) and ended up crossing off #5 on my "New York Musts" list.

For quick reference, here's where I'm at:

  1. Roosevelt Island
  2. the Cloisters
  3. the High Line
  4. Top of the Rock
  5. top of the Empire State Building
  6. Jazz at the Lincoln Center
  7. an opera at the Met
  8. the Guggenheim Museum
  9. Wicked
  10. SummerStage at Central Park
  11. mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral
  12. St. John the Divine
  13. Conservatory Garden at Central Park
  14. Belvedere Castle
  15. Brooklyn Botanical Garden
  16. 5 boro bike tour
  17. spectator at the NYC Marathon
  18. BAM (aka Brooklyn Academy of Music)
  19. ride the G train
  20. Brooklyn Flea
  21. visit the main NYPL on 42nd Street
  22. ride any train from starting point to end point
  23. Native American Museum
  24. have a drink at the Waldorf Astoria
  25. "visit" the Today show
  26. see a taping of a NYC show
  27. Riverside Park
  28. ice skating at Bryant Park
  29. Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
  30. sledding in Central Park
  31. Prospect Park
  32. dine at the River Cafe
How did I end up at the Empire State Building you ask? Well apparently the last ride up is at 1:15AM. Yes, AM. I find this piece of information so cool and since it was past 9 when I learned of this, I was all gung-ho at the suggestion of going. I mean it was late enough in the day and the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, so how bad could the wait be?! Well, it was still a wait of nearly 45 minutes but (a) to me that's really short considering I've always seen long lines outside of the place (b) it wasn't hot out so I didn't mind the wait. And  so I bring to you the wonder and amazement that is the view from the Empire State Building...


North.

South.

East.

West.

Going up to the 102nd floor is a waste, so don't bother. I didn't really experience a difference being further up from the observatory so that's a disappointment (and waste of money). But otherwise, the experience was pretty cool. I love seeing the City from high up in the sky. One more building to go!

PS - I realize I've crossed off #20 on the list and I could have sworn I already blogged about it, but I guess I will have to do so soon. I just hope I didn't delete all my pics off my phone about it.

PPS - Being that today is Labor Day, something tells me that I won't be achieving #10 before my 32nd birthday. Oops!

No comments: